CRICOS ID – 082931M
Course Duration – 43 weeks
(Duration is 2 Academic Years if combined with Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery and Diploma of Hospitality Management)
Course Fee – AU$16,000
Location – Hobart, Launceston
Hobart – February and July
Download the Commercial Cookery pathway flyer
This qualification provides the skills and knowledge for an individual to be competent as a qualified cook. You will be taught practical and relevant workplace skills, such as basic kitchen operations, vegetable and meat preparation, baking and patisserie, whilst also learning higher level kitchen supervisory and management skills. You will also be taught to devise menus and cook specialist dishes for TasTAFE’s training restaurants.
You will be required to purchase a full classical chef’s uniform, professional tool kit and text books at an additional cost of approximately AU$1050.
This qualification provides the skills and the knowledge for an individual to be competent as a qualified cook. Work could be undertaken in various hospitality enterprises where food is prepared and served. Employment opportunities exist with small businesses, larger hotels, restaurants, cafes, hospitals, commercial catering operations, and event caterers in the following areas:
- Professional Cook /Chef
- Food and Beverage Manager
- Catering Manager
- Restaurant Owner /Operator
Students will train alongside highly experienced professional chefs in fully equipped kitchens and will have the opportunity to gain further workplace skills by completing placements with our industry partners.
To achieve a Certificate III in Commercial Cookery, 25 units must be successfully completed:
- 22 Core Units
- 3 Elective Units
- BSBSUS201A Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- BSBWOR203B Work effectively with others
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid
- SITHCCC101 Use food preparation equipment
- SITHCCC201 Produce dishes using basic methods of cookery
- SITHCCC202 Produce appetisers and salads
- SITHCCC203 Produce stocks, sauces and soups
- SITHCCC204 Produce vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes
- SITHCCC301 Produce poultry dishes
- SITHCCC302 Produce seafood dishes
- SITHCCC303 Produce meat dishes
- SITHCCC307 Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements
- SITHCCC308 Produce cakes, pastries and breads
- SITHCCC309 Work effectively as a cook
- SITHKOP101 Clean kitchen premises and equipment
- SITHKOP302 Plan and cost basic menus
- SITHPAT306 Produce desserts
- SITXFSA101 Use hygienic practices for food safety
- SITXFSA201 Participate in safe food handling practices
- SITXHRM301 Coach others in job skills
- SITXINV202 Maintain the quality of perishable items
- SITXWHY101 Participate in safe work practices
Electives may vary from region to region, contact GETI Tasmania for a full list of electives.
- IELTS 5.5 General Training (no band less than 5.0) or equivalent
Recognition of Prior Learning
At TasTAFE we believe that the things you already know how to do should be formally recognised.
Regardless of how, when or where the learning occurred, you may be eligible to apply for recognition of your skills and experience. When you apply to attend TasTAFE you can ask for recognition of:
- formal/informal learning
- life experience
- employment/work experience.
You may also be able to apply for credit transfer for units/modules that you have completed previously at another training organisation.
It is also possible to apply for credit for TasTAFE subjects if you decide to study at university.
Course information displayed on this website is subject to change.
You may be required to purchase additional materials or stationery for your course.