CRICOS ID – 083008E
Course Duration – 43 Weeks
Course Fee – AU$10,200
Location – Hobart, Launceston
Intake Dates – February
This qualification will teach you the knowledge and skills required to work in a team that provides care for children aged 0-5 years. Upon successful completion of this course, you will have the skill to develop learning programs and facilitate children’s play to help them achieve developmental outcomes.
You will be required to undertake a Childcare Safety Screening. An AU$140 textbook is also recommended, but not compulsory.
Children’s Services qualifications at this level prepare you for work in a number of settings, including long day care centres, outside school-hours care, vacation care programs, and family day care.
Occupations can include:
- Early Childhood Educator
- Playgroup Supervisor
- Family Day Care Worker
- Childhood Educator
- Childhood Educator Assistant
- Recreation Assistant
Pathways to further study
This course is delivered on campus. Study includes hands-on training in real child care situations and centres. The study program includes a variety of learning processes to encourage and improve learning.
Learning options may include:
- Off the job – participation in workshops and simulated children’s services settings at TasTAFE
- Online learning – an online space that connects you to other students and provides you with information and tools to guide your learning.
- DVDs and videos – resources that give you additional information
- Learning support – to provide you with individual support with your learning
- Workshops – that provide you with background information, information from guest speakers and opportunities to engage in practical learning tasks
To achieve a Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care, 18 units must be completed:
- 15 core units
- 3 elective units
Core units – complete all 15 units of competency
- CHCCS400C Work within a relevant legal and ethical framework
- CHCECE001 Develop cultural competence
- CHCECE002 Ensure the health and safety of children
- CHCECE003 Provide care for children
- CHCECE004 Promote and provide healthy food and drinks
- CHCECE005 Provide care for babies and toddlers
- CHCECE007 Develop positive and respectful relationships with children
- CHCECE009 Use an approved learning framework to guide practice
- CHCECE010 Support the holistic development of children in early childhood
- CHCECE011 Provide experiences to support children’s play and learning
- CHCECE013 Use information about children to inform practice
- CHCPRT001 Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
- HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
- HLTHIR404D Work effectively with aboriginal and/or torres strait islander people
- HLTWHS001 Participate in work health and safety
The choice of electives will be guided by the type of service delivery and the setting.
Throughout all assessments, Work Health & Safety procedures must be followed. Options for assessment may include:
- Short written assessments – question and answer style tests
- Projects – group or individual, may be practical or research based
- Assignments – research topics and provide a written response
- Practical – you will be observed doing tasks
- Work samples – you will be asked to complete tasks on the job and collect examples of your work
If required, other assessment methods may be used for students (eg. verbal tests instead of short written tests)
- 5.5 IELTS General Training (no band less than 5.0) or equivalent.
Recognition of Prior Learning
At TasTAFE we believe that the things you already know how to do should be formally recognised.
Regardless of how, when or where the learning occurred, you may be eligible to apply for recognition of your skills and experience. When you apply to attend TasTAFE you can ask for recognition of:
- formal/informal learning
- life experience
- employment/work experience.
You may also be able to apply for credit transfer for units/modules that you have completed previously at another training organisation.
It is also possible to apply for credit for TasTAFE subjects if you decide to study at university.
Course information displayed on this website is subject to change.
You may be required to purchase additional materials or stationery for your course