Have you considered hosting?
Homestay host applications now open.
GETI arranges homestay accommodation for international students when they study in Tasmanian Government schools.
Homestay offers a rewarding learning experience for you and your family, as you share your everyday life and culture with young people from around the world.
Hosts can be single, a couple, family with kids, empty nesters or retirees – and you can choose to host for a period of time that best suits your lifestyle – short-term stays or full time students.
Most importantly hosts are willing to open their home to students by offering their support, guidance and generosity to help students flourish in their new environment.
Benefits of hosting:
- Enrich family life by sharing with a young person from another culture.
- Help young people from another culture to reach their full potential.
- Use your skills and life experience to support students as they experience life in Tasmania.
Hosts are expected to provide:
- a safe, supportive & welcoming home environment
- a private, furnished bedroom inside the family home (not a separate dwelling)
- all meals, including snacks
- use of utilities (i.e. water, electricity and gas)
- use of facilities (e.g. access to TV, iron, vacuum cleaner, laundry
We will provide you with:
- an initial briefing session and homestay handbook
- ongoing support from our statewide homestay team
- homestay newsletters
- access to our 24-hour emergency telephone service
- an allowance of $252 per week (single room)
Support for hosts
Our homestay coordinators are located in Hobart and Launceston, and provide assistance and guidance to hosts and students as required.
For out-of-hours emergencies both hosts and students have access to our 24-hour emergency telephone service.
Talk with us today about becoming a homestay host, call 6165 5727 or email email@example.com
Becoming a host:
Complete the Homestay Application form. Please ensure that you answer every question. Application to be a Homestay Host 2017
Submit your Homestay Application form, along with photos of your family, home and student bedroom, plus copies of all current WWVP registrations. Submit via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All people over the age of 18 residing in your home are required to have a valid ‘Working with Vulnerable People’ registration from the Department of Justice, which is valid for 3 years.
WWVP registration – if you and/or other people over the age of 18 residing in your home do not have a current WWVP registrations, visit Department of Justice website to apply. After completing the online application you will need to visit Service Tasmania to have your photograph taken. Cost for ‘Volunteer’ is $18.36. Register online through the Department of Justice website
Final step is a home visit. Once your application has been assessed and WWVP registration has been received, one of our homestay coordinators will contact you to arrange a convenient time for a home visit. During the visit we will outline expectations in more detail, answer any questions that you may have, and with your permission, take additional photos of your home.
GETI Contact details:
26 Bathurst Street, Hobart 7000
03 6165 5727
24-hour emergency service (03) 6231 1003
Outside business hours (Golden Electronics Security)