If you are moving to Tasmania on a temporary visa, your children can study at a Tasmanian Government School.
You can apply through the Temporary Resident Program (TRP).
How to apply
Parents on a Temporary Visa need to:
- Apply online: Temporary Resident Program Student Application Form
- Receive an ‘Authority to Enrol’ letter from GETI. You will give this letter to the school to enrol.
- Use Google Chrome to complete this application.
Please refer to the Visas at Glance document to view visas requiring:
- an Authority to Enrol letter for Tasmanian Government School enrolment;
- the payment of an application fee;
- the payment of tuition fees;
- the payment of school levies.
Information regarding Visitor Visa Enrolment:
- Study on a visitor visa requires payment of tuition fees at the full fee-paying rate.
- Children staying in Australia after the visitor visa expiry can enrol through the TRP initially (proof of new visa application required).
- Study on a visitor visa is optional.
- When a bridging visa becomes active, enrolment is required and TRP tuition fees will apply.
Fees for schools (Prep to Year 12)
2023 Tuition fees*
- Full year – $7,600
- Per term – $1,900**
- Per week – $190***
All prices are in Australian Dollars (AUD).
- Tuition fees for Kindergarten enrolment are 50% of the above rates.
- 485, 491 and 494 visa holders pay 50% of the tuition fees above.
- Evidence of visa will be required upon application, to confirm your tuition fee rate.
- A non-refundable application fee of AU $150* per student will be charged for all new applications.
- New students must pay the first for two (2) terms before they can enrol.
- You can request a payment plan once your child has completed the first two terms.
- Dependant Students on a 485 visa will be Tuition Fee Liable at 50% of the published TRP tuition fees.
- Dependant Students Bridging to a Refugee, Protection, or Humanitarian visa subclass will be Tuition Fee Exempt.
Effective 05-Feb-2024 (Term 1, 2024)
- Dependant Students on a 188 Business Innovation and Investment visa will be Tuition Fee Liable at 100% of the published TRP tuition fees.
Families who hold visas effected by this change, will have already received an email from the TRP team.
*Fees are subject to change.
**Term tuition fee rates apply to students enrolled for a complete term. Standard term length is 10 weeks. In cases where term length is 9 or 11 weeks the full term rate will still apply.
***Weekly tuition fees only apply if a student is not enrolled for a complete school term (calculated on the estimated number of weeks student will be enrolled for in the current term).
School levies are fees charged by a school and are separate from tuition fees.
Families pay levies directly to the school (up to $850 per year).
When can children be enrolled
Children can be enrolled at any time of the year.
The school year consists of four terms (refer to term dates) and includes children in:
- Primary school – Kindergarten to Year 6
- Secondary (High) school – Years 7-10
- Senior Secondary (College) – Years 11-12
Children are of legal school age the calendar year they turn 6.
Where can children be enrolled
Children can enrol at their local school. You can find your local intake school here.
English language support
The English as an Additional Language (EAL) Service can assess TRP Students. EAL provides support if required.
Change of circumstances
You must inform GETI if your child:
- changes contact details (address, email, phone number etc);
- is granted a new visa (this could change tuition fee status). Tuition fee changes come into effect the first full week after grant date;
- intends to transfer to another Tasmanian Government School;
- intends to end their government school enrolment. GETI requires one week’s written notice for enrolment end.
Please contact GETI directly if you have any questions about the Temporary Resident Program.
If English is not your first language, you can call the Telephone and Interpreter Service on 131 450 for assistance.