MEM50212 – Diploma of Engineering – Technical covers the skills and knowledge required for a draftsperson / technician producing specialist engineering drawings within an engineering design environment. The course will provide an integrated knowledge of the technical and design systems found in engineering environments, as well as an understanding of the administrative processes necessary in achieving the desired outcomes for engineering projects. This qualification may lead to employment as an engineering draftsperson / technician in the fields of civil, structural or local government engineering, among others.
The units that TasTAFE offer have been selected in consultation with industry to reflect current market needs and to ensure that graduates have the opportunity to develop relevant skills and knowledge. The skill-base students will develop in this course has been designed to be diverse enough to enable graduates to be adapt to varying engineering and associated professional environments, as well as provide the best possible employability outcomes for TasTAFE students.
This course may lead to the following career opportunities:
- Engineering drafting personnel
- Engineering technicians
- Employment by other allied professions such as architects, town planners and builders.
Pathways to further study:
Graduates of this course may consider pathways to studies in Engineering at university level.
To achieve a Diploma of Engineering – Technical, 20 units must be successfully completed:
- MEM16008A Interact with computing technology
- MEM16006A Organise and communicate information
- MEM30007A Select common engineering materials
- MEM30012A Apply mathematical techniques in a manufacturing engineering or related environment
- MEM09002B Interpret technical drawing
- MSAENV272B Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- MEM30031A Operate computer-aided design (CAD) system to produce basic drawing elements
- MEM30032A Produce basic engineering drawings
- MEM22002A Manage self in the engineering environment
- MSATCS301A Interpret architectural and engineering design specifications for structural steel detailing
- CPPBDN5013A Develop and collaborate on building information models for small-scale building design projects
- MSATCS502A Detail structural steel members
- UEPMNT419B Perform civil drafting
- MEM30023A Prepare A Simple Cost Estimate For A Manufactured Product
- MEM09011B Apply Basic Engineering Design Concepts
- MEM09210A Create 3-D Solid Models Using Computer-aided Design (CAD) System
- MEM09221A Create 3-D Model Assemblies Using Computer-aided Design (CAD) System
- MEM30005A Calculate Force Systems Within Simple Beam Structures
- MEM30006A Calculate Stresses In Simple Structures
- MEM09220A Apply surface modelling techniques to 3-D drawings
Assessments are designed to help you demonstrate your skills and knowledge. A variety of tasks will be assessed over the duration of the course to help confirm you can perform to the standard required in the workplace. These may include written reports, hand sketches and drawings, CAD drawings and models and practical exercises to simulate a workplace environment.
Competency for each of the 20 units is evaluated over a number assessment tasks. All assessment submissions are uploaded by the student to our eLearning platform, Canvas. Each assessment submission is received by a teacher, marked and returned to the student with a ‘satisfactory’ or ‘not yet satisfactory’ outcome and includes specific feedback on the work submitted. If the submission has been assessed as ‘not yet satisfactory’ the teacher feedback will guide students toward a satisfactory result using a re-submission process.
- IELTS 6.0 General Training (no band less than 5.5) or equivalent.
Recognition of Prior Learning:
It makes sense that you should be recognised for the things you already know how to do. TasTAFE can assess your skills and knowledge based on your previous education, work history or life experience. This may help you gain your qualification faster. For further details please refer to www.tastafe.tas.edu.au/future/recognition/
You may also be able to apply for credit transfer for units/modules that you have completed previously at another training organisation.
It may also be possible to apply for credit for TasTAFE subjects if you decide to study at university.
MEM50212 – Diploma of Engineering – Technical