If something happens to upset your plans for studying in Tasmania, it is possible to have your tuition fee refunded.
A written copy of GETI Tasmania’s refund policy is included with every letter of offer sent to students. It is your responsibility to understand this policy before making a payment. By making a payment, you are entering into an agreement with TasTAFE for the duration of the program and will be bound by this refund policy.
Whether or not a refund is paid and how much you will receive will depend on your circumstances. If you are found to be eligible for a refund, it will then be paid within 20 working days of this confirmation, subject to the terms and conditions listed below.
TasTAFE Refunds – Student Initiated Withdrawal
Refunds for Student-Initiated Withdrawal
Where GETI receives written notice of your withdrawal 14 days or more before the commencement of your course, you may receive a refund of 80% of first semester tuition fees, and 100% of any future, semester tuition fees.
Where GETI receives written notice of your withdrawal less than 14 days before the commencement of your course, you may receive a refund of 50% of first semester tuition fees, and 100% of any future, semester tuition fees that have already been paid.
Where GETI receives written notice of your withdrawal within 21 days after the commencement of your course, you may receive a refund of 50% of the current semester tuition fees, and 100% of any future semester tuition fees that have already been paid.
After 21 days from the commencement of your course, no refund of current semester tuition fees is available. You may receive a refund of 100% of any future, semester tuition fees that have already been paid.
Please note that where you can show compassionate and compelling reasons for your withdrawal, a variation to the refund policy may be possible. In such situations, you would need to make a written application to the Manager of GETI.
Refunds – Other categories
- Visa rejection: Before a student has commenced study, if their visa application is unsuccessful, 100% of all fees will be refunded, less GETI Tasmania administration fees. If the student has already started study regardless of visa type, a pro-rata monthly rate will be charged.
• Course cancellation: In the event of a cancellation or non-delivery of a course by TasTAFE 100% of all tuition fees including GETI Tasmania administration fees will be refunded. Students will also be given the option of transferring to the same course at another campus location (if available) or transferring to another CRICOS registered course; in this case, fees already paid will be applied to the new course. Students will receive a partial refund if the new course is at a lower cost or will be required to pay the difference if the new course is at a higher cost.
• Date changes to course: If the course does not start on the agreed date; and the student withdraws prior to the original date, 100% of all tuition fees including GETI Tasmania administration fees will be refunded.
• Overseas student health cover (OSHC): Where written notice of withdrawal is received by GETI Tasmania 14 days prior to the commencement of health cover, 100% of this amount will be refunded. Within 14 days of course commencement (and any time after this date), refunds will be allocated on a pro-rata basis as determined by your health care provider.
• All refunds will be made payable to the person who paid the initial invoice unless written permission is received authorising payment to a third party
• All refunds will be paid within 20 working days.
• $300 will be retained on all refunds.
• For student-initiated withdrawals, all education agent fees are non-refundable.
• If a student has attended any classes, a refund on pro-rata basis may be applicable
• Refunds for compassionate and compelling reasons (including permanent residency grant) can only be approved by the Manager, of GETI Tasmania.
Tasmanian Government Schools Refund Policy
- All refunds will be made payable to the person who paid the initial invoice unless written permission is received authorising payment to a third party
- All refunds will be paid within 20 working days.
- For Student initiated withdrawals, all education agent and administration fee are non-refundable.
- If a student has attended any classes, a refund on pro-rata basis may be applicable
- Refunds for compassionate and compelling reason (including permanent residency grant) can only be approved by GETI Tasmania’s Principal Executive Officer. All approved refunds will be paid to the student’s parents unless an alternative has been requested by the parents in writing.
In cases of Government Education and Training International (GETI) Default:
GETI will refund all tuition fees if it is unable to provide the course described in the Letter of Offer. No written request is required.
In cases of Student Default:
Tuition fees will be refunded in the following circumstances:
- 100% of course fees paid will be refunded where the student is not granted a Student Visa by the Australian Government provided that a copy of the visa refusal letter is submitted to GETI.
- More than 14 days before starting their course the student may receive a refund of 80% of current term tuition fees and 100% of any future term tuition fees already paid.
- Less than 14 days before starting their course, the student may receive a refund of 50% of current term tuition fees and 100% of any future term tuition fees already paid.
- Once the student has started their course, no refund of current term tuition fees is available, 100% of future term tuition fees may be refundable.
If fees have not been paid in full at time of withdrawal, outstanding instalments may still be payable.
Tuition fees will not be refunded in whole or part:
- where a student’s enrolment is cancelled, deferred or suspended except where the Manager of GETI, determines that there were compelling or compassionate reasons
The unused portion of Homestay fees will be refunded if a student moves into independent accommodation, or withdraws from a course or transfers to another provider.
Please complete a Request for a Refund form within 90 days of the action that has led to the refund request and addressed to:
Government Education and Training International,
Department of Education,
GPO Box 169,
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia 7001
Ph +61 (0)3 6165 5727 Fax +61 (0)3 6233 7839
Information for TasTAFE and Tasmanian Government School Students
Revised letters of offer
If GETI Tasmania has to issue a second letter of offer due to changes made at your request, this will incur a fee of AU$80.00. Any further changes will incur a charge of AU$180.00 for every new letter of offer issued.
Course Progress and Attendance
GETI Tasmania reserves the right to cancel the enrolment of any student whose attendance falls below the requirements of the National Code Standard II; that is, if attendance falls below 80%. Students must also make satisfactory course progress which is, at a minimum, the successful completion of 50% of the unit attempted in any study period (std 10). In these cases, no refund of fees will be given.
Transferring to/from another education provider
If you are in Australia on a student visa and you have started your course with a provider, you are legally required to continue studying with that provider for the first six months of your main course, or for the whole duration of a course that is less than 6 months. However, under Australia’s ESOS Act, permission can be granted to change providers within the first six months. You must apply to GETI Tasmania to do so and be issued a letter of release from TasTAFE. Without this letter of release, you cannot change providers within your first six months of study.
Similarly, TasTAFE will be unable to issue a letter of offer to you, if you are transferring from another provider to TasTAFE without a release letter from that provider.
If you withdraw from a course at TasTAFE within or after this initial six months, any refund will be paid in accordance with the conditions explained above.
This refund agreement does not remove the right for the student to take further action under Australia’s consumer protection laws. Nor does GETI’s dispute resolution process circumscribe the student’s right to pursue other legal remedies.
Complaints and Appeals
If you are dissatisfied with decisions that have been made by your school or Government Education and Training International please speak about this with the student contact person in your school or the Manager, Government Education and Training International. Most complaints can be resolved informally.
If you are dissatisfied with the way your complaint was dealt with informally you may access the formal internal Complaints and Appeals process in your school. A letter to the Principal needs to be drafted and sent advising of your grievance and providing reasons for reconsideration of the decision made.
If you remain dissatisfied with the way your issues have been assessed and addressed, you may appeal in writing to the Director Strategic Relationships. This request must detail the complaint, the decision that has been made and a request for a review of that decision.
If you are not satisfied with the result or conduct of the complaints process, you may contact the Tasmanian Ombudsman on 1800 001 170. For further information about the Ombudsman, please see http://www.ombudsman.tas.gov.au/.
NAB House, Level 6, 86 Collins Street, Hobart
1800 001 170
There is no cost to access this service and your enrolment will be maintained while the complaint is ongoing.
This agreement, and the availability of the complaints and appeals processes, does not remove the right of the student to take action under Australia’s consumer protection laws.