(MSL40118) Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques
- Practical technical skills.
- Skills and knowledge appropriate to multiple science industries
- Learn from industry experts and train with an exciting science community
Tasmania’s diverse science and research sector contributes significantly to our economic activity. As a state we possess a number of competitive advantages that continue to attract both domestic and international investment in scientific research. Vast natural resources, a unique environment, existing scientific capability and the liveability of our state all set us apart from the pack.
Our natural advantages of close proximity to Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, unique geographic location, abundant water and wind resources and a stable population have resulted in expertise and capabilities in a number of key scientific areas. Tasmania is leading cutting edge research on water and marine systems, agriculture, aquaculture, renewable energy and population genetics.
Our program focuses on practical studies in the areas of pathology, environmental science, and medical research, providing a pathway into further university study, or employment in laboratories, food production, education, agriculture, and pathology. This qualification is ideal for people seeking practical laboratory skills. Come and join the exciting scientific community in Tasmania. Our graduates are not only in demand here, but the transferable skills you will learn can take you all over the world.
If you have a desire to contribute to the global scientific community and are looking to train with the experts, get in touch with us today. Laboratory Techniques training at TasTAFE in Tasmania could be the right path for you.
Areas of study include:
- Perform chemical tests and procedures
- Perform biological procedures
- Environmental monitoring
- Aseptic techniques and microbiological tests
- General laboratory practices including, safety, calibrations, maintenance, quality assurance, sample preparation, microscopy and basic testing.
Make the most of this hands-on environment and take the next step in your science career with TasTAFE.
This course may lead to the following career opportunities:
- Laboratory Technical Assistant
- Educational Assistant
- Environmental Officer
- Food Safety Operative
- Mineral production
- Research Assistant
MSL40118 – Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques comprises 15 units packaged as 5 core units and 10 electives.
All units below must be completed successfully to gain the qualification.
5 Core Units
|MSL924003||Process and interpret data|
|MSL934004||Maintain and calibrate instruments and equipment|
|MSL934006||Apply quality systems and continuous improvement processes|
|MSL944002||maintain laboratory or field workplace safety|
|MSL953003||Receive and prepare samples for testing|
Assessments are designed to help you demonstrate your skills and knowledge. They allow us to confirm you can perform to the standard required in the workplace, to meet all of the requirements of the course.
Assessment may include:
- Written assessments (eg. tests, assignments, projects, reports)
- Practical assessments conducted in a science laboratory
- Completion of laboratory workbooks, including recording observations, data analysis and calculations to achieve test results.
- Observations and discussions. You will be observed by an assessor while you complete practical activities.
- Class presentations. To assess communication skills and technical understanding.
What will I need to bring
Students will need to provide the following items:
English Language Requirements
IELTS 5.5 (no band less than 5.0) or equivalent
Recognition of Prior Learning
It makes sense that you should be recognised for the things you already know how to do. TasTAFE can assess your skills and knowledge based on your previous education, work history or life experience. This may help you gain your qualification a whole lot faster, saving you valuable time and money.
MSL40118 – Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques