Newstead College is a senior secondary school for students in Years 11 and 12. Established in 1997, it has modern classrooms, excellent specialist teaching areas and a personalised learning environment.
Address: 30 Cypress Street, Newstead TAS 7250
Year Established: 1997
Number of Students: 500
- Set in quiet surrounds with a modern design and a range of well-resourced learning environments.
- Provides an adult learning environment where students are independent learners.
- The nature and size of the college ensures a safe and respectful environment where students work in smaller classes with specialised and skilled teachers.
- Extensive tutorial program provides students opportunities to receive timely feedback, extra assistance with homework support and exam revision.
- Diversity is highly valued and every student is expected to strive for excellence.
Newstead College teaching focuses on the individual and students are given opportunities to excel. Students are enrolled into subjects which will qualify them for the Tasmanian Certificate of Education (TCE) as well as an ATAR for university entrance and/or a Vocational Education and Training (VET) certification. Student progress is constantly reviewed and support provided to enable students to obtain the highest results possible.
The University of Tasmania Partnership at Newstead College – Uni Hub
- The Uni Hub is a partnerships that connects the University of Tasmania and the college.
- The Hub is open over two days during school hours and a university representative can provide support and information about the University of Tasmania and other interstate university study.
- The Uni Hub enhances levels of knowledge on any aspect of university study from pre- requisites, ATAR requirements, scholarships and university life. It can assist in transition from Year 12 to tertiary education.
Newstead College provides a full range of subjects in Humanities, Mathematics, Science, English, Technology and the Arts suitable for entrance into all university degrees. Students in Year 11 and 12 are able to select subjects from a wide range of learning areas. Subjects are accredited by the Tasmanian Assessment Standards and Certification Authority (TASC) and are offered at both a ‘university-entrance’ level (Level 3 and 4) or at a foundation level (Level2) which provides the background to study Level 3 the following year.
Newstead College also provides a wide range of nationally-recognised vocational (VET) programs for students wishing to pursue further studies at a training institution such as TasTAFE or other technical colleges throughout Australia. Some specialist subjects at Newstead College include Certificate III in Health Services Assistance (nursing pathway) and Computer Applications – Esports.
Students are enrolled into English as an Additional Language (EAL) subject and are provided with individual support and extra tuition. Students can also enrol into additional English classes to further practice speaking English.
Advanced Academic Programs
Academic Extension Program is a unique program, specifically, for students on a university pathway who are aspiring to achieve a high Australia Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR). The program provides individualised support in Level 3 and 4 subjects to maximise students’ chance of a high TE score. Students receive preparation for performing well under exam conditions and assistance with developing effective study techniques. There is a strong focus on university preparation including individualised university counselling and assistance with university applications.
Photography and art suites, gym, tennis courts, basketball courts and oval, auditorium, dance studio, recording and music suites, industrial kitchen, a fully equipped hair salon, esports laboratory, a simulated hospital, woodwork facilities, a construction workshop, well-equipped science laboratories, modern library with study facilities, advanced It facilities are provided and WIFI is available.
Newstead College offers a ranges’ of speciality programs that enable students to complement their studies and these programs include high achiever’s program at the University of Tasmania. Other opportunities include The Student Leadership Council which students can participate in to organise student events and an opportunity to represent the college within the community. In addition, Newstead College participates in a variety of local and state-wide, maths, science, computing, music and art competitions.
International students are supported by an Assistant Principal and Principal. The Assistant Principal help students settle into the school environment, assist with any concerns, talk to students about their study pathway and help students locate career information. Student support is also provided by their support group teacher, the school’s student counsellors, career counsellors, social worker and psychologist. Course counsellors will assist students in selecting the subjects that are most appropriate and required for future university or vocational subjects.