Living expenses in Tasmanian cities are very affordable, and our tuition fees are among the most competitive in Australia. As a student in Tasmania, you will pay less for accommodation, transport, and general expenses.
A 2011 Household Expenditure Survey conducted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, found that Tasmanian households had lower average weekly costs than most other Australian states and territories, suggesting that Tasmania has one of the lowest costs of living in Australia.
A good indication of the annual cost of living (excluding tuition fees and flights to and from your home country) is provided by Australia’s Department of Home Affairs:
- AU$18,610 per year for the main student
- AU$6,515 per year for the student’s partner
- AU$3,720 per year for the student’s first child
- AU$2,790 per year for every other child and where required.
These figures are just an indication, and will vary depending on your style of living. It is always useful to keep track of your expenses.
Please find below the approximate cost of purchasing popular items in Tasmania:
- 1kg rice $2.10-$4.00
- 500g beef mince $7.00
- 12 eggs $5.00
- 1 kg fresh fruit $3.00 – $8.00
- 1 litre of milk $2.00-$3.00
- 50 gm packet noodles $1.00 – $1.50
- Can of Coca Cola $3.00
- Cup of coffee $4.50-$6.00
- McDonald’s Meal $7.00+
- Movie ticket $15.00
- Lunch, take away $10.00 – $20.00
- Restaurant meal $30.00+
- Bus fares (weekly) $25.00 – $27.00
- Mobile Phone Credit (per month) $30.00+