The Diploma of Community Services package is comprised of the two year Diploma of Community Services course, with the option to progress to a Bachelor of Social Work with Honours at the University of Tasmania.
Desirable Skills and Attributes
The following skills and attributes will be useful to students studying this course;
- Develop skills to provide direction and leadership to others
- Competent use a computer for that may also include tables and diagrams.
- Ability to produce and present word-processed documents/reports.
- Ability to obtain, interpret, evaluate and present information from a variety of sources (reading or the internet or via other assistive technology)
- Ability to gather, interpret and present simple numerical data
- Build and maintain positive relationships with others
- Communicate ideas
- Organise others / group or team co-ordination
- Manage conflict / solve problems in a constructive manner
- Participate in the development of strategic initiatives
- Present information verbally to a group
TasTAFE teachers will negotiate and arrange work placements and or work placement projects with Community organisations for students. (NB Work placement days and start and finish times may vary)
All Community Services Workers must meet the qualification requirements set by industry standards.
- A National Police Check is required
- A Working with Vulnerable People Card is required
Areas of study include:
- Manage Work Health and Safety
- Manage and promote diversity
- Manage legal and ethical compliance
- Work with people with mental health issues
- Develop workplace communication strategies
- Develop and provide community projects
Students who complete the CHC52015 Diploma of Community Services may gain employment as a community services worker in a variety of community organisations. Roles may include Case Worker or Case Manager, Community Care Worker, Community Services Worker.
CHC52015 Diploma of Community Services comprises 16 units packaged as 8 core units and 8 electives.
All units below must be completed successfully to gain the qualification.
|CHCCCS007||Develop and implement service programs|
|CHCCOM003||Develop workplace communication strategies|
|CHCDEV002||Analyse impacts of sociological factors on clients in community work and services|
|CHCDIV003||Manage and promote diversity|
|CHCLEG003||Manage legal and ethical compliance|
|CHCMGT005||Facilitate workplace debriefing and support processes|
|CHCPRP003||Reflect on and improve own professional practice|
|HLTWHS004||Manage work health and safety|
|CHCDIV002||Promote Aboriginal and or Torres strait Islander Cultural Safety|
|CHCDEV001||Confirm client developmental status|
|CHCMHS001||Work with people with mental health issues|
|CHCCSM005||Develop, facilitate and review all aspects of case management|
|CHCCSL002||Apply specialist interpersonal and counselling interview skills|
|CHCCS004||Assess co existing needs|
|CHCPRP003||Provide advocacy and representation services|
|CHCCDE007||Develop and provide community projects|
Assessments are designed to help you demonstrate your skills and knowledge. They allow us to confirm you can perform to the standard required in the workplace, to meet all of the requirements of the course.
Assessment may include:
- Written assessments
- Written scenarios
- Written portfolios
- Simulated workplace activities
- Observation assessments
What will I need to bring?
Students will need to provide the following items:
Costs payable by the student:
- Working with Vulnerable People registration ($19).
- Tasmanian Police check ($45)
Prices are estimates and may vary.
GETI receives a large volume of applications for this course, and therefore the application process is competitive. Applicants who meet the minimum requirements are not guaranteed a place in this course. To maximise your chances of a successful application, we advise you to make an effort to demonstrate your relevant experience, passion and suitability for the Healthcare field when applying.
Recognition of Prior Learning
It makes sense that you should be recognised for the things you already know how to do. TasTAFE can assess your skills and knowledge based on your previous education, work history or life experience. This may help you gain your qualification a whole lot faster, saving you valuable time and money.
CHC52015 Diploma of Community Services
Course information displayed on this website is subject to change.
You may be required to purchase additional materials or stationery for your course.
Pathway to University
Students who complete the Diploma of Community Services at TasTAFE can enter the Bachelor of Bachelor of Social Work with Honours at the University of Tasmania with one year of credit. Students can therefore complete Diploma, Bachelor and Honours qualifications with 5 years of study (2 + 3).
I really enjoy the time in class to learn new knowledge and have discussions with teachers and classmates. I like the practical workplace experience the most because it can prove how much I have learnt from the course. The teachers really guide me to find the answers clearly, and help me out if I’m still confused.
Alvin Lee, Community Services